Electronics Dealing with aspects concerning production, transmission and use of mechanical power and heat, this large branch extends across many specialities . The subject of design, operation and maintenance of machines, components, systems and processes is of interest to us, perhaps from childhood. The field continues to attract new comers, despite the strides achieved by the relatively newer branches, and offers tremendous career opportunities.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering aims to provide a basic foundation and knowledge in the field through a combination of theory as well as intense practical training. Mechanics of materials & machines, mechanical measurements, workshop practice, machine design and drawings, Industrial Management, Environment Engineering, Mechatronics, Thermal Engineering, CAD/CAM, Computers etc are some of the main subjects taught in the six Semesters of 3 year course which culminates with industrial visits and Project work.
Why Study Mechanical Engineering?
- Mechanical Engineering is one of the most diverse fields in engineering that derives its breadth from the need to design and manufacture everything from small individual parts and devices (like micro-scale sensors and inkjet printer nozzles) to large systems (like spacecraft and machine tools).
- As a Mechanical engineer, your role is to take a product from an idea to the marketplace.
- The field encompasses fundamental study areas such as energy, fluid mechanics, solid mechanics and material science, and mechanical design, as well as thematic study areas such as manufacturing processes, mechatronics, robotics, system modelling and simulations, and micro & nanotechnology.
- Owing to its presence in every field, mechanical engineers with an aptitude for problem-solving are involved in design, development and testing of products as well as research programs. One of the desired skills of a mechanical engineer is the ability to analyse and design objects and systems with motion.
- Another is the operational knowledge of mechanical design softwares like CAD-CAM.